Can Cats Eat Aquafaba? (Or Will You Regret It?)
If you have some Aquafaba and have a cat, you may be impressed with it and maybe wondering if it is OK for your cat to consume…
Can cats eat aquafaba?
While it is ok for cats to consume Aquafaba in moderation, it is not ideal. Cats are classed as obligate carnivores. Meaning, they need meat, particularly, animal protein. Therefore, cats have different dietary needs than we do. Even if their owner follows a vegan or vegetarian diet it is not ideal for cats.
So, now you know. But, is it typically used as a dairy alternative? Can it only come from chickpeas? Is it OK for kittens? Keep reading for these answers, and much more…
What is Aquafaba?
Aquafaba is the water that legume seeds have been cooked in. It also includes the juice in cans of legumes. Aquafaba is sometimes used as a substitute for egg whites. This is ideal for people who have egg allergies or are vegan.
Using the liquid leftover from cooked legumes is a recent discovery, so there is not much information on the health benefits or health risks. The reason people didn’t use the leftover juice before is that it has practically no nutritional value. It has only recently been used for vegan-friendly substitutes.
To obtain aquafaba, you can simply strain the liquid from canned legumes. This includes white beans and chickpeas. You can also boil or steam legumes to make your own aquafaba.
Nutritional Content of Aquafaba?
Source: CalorieKing (per 100g) *
* See the source for the full list
Is Aquafaba used as a dairy alternative?
Aquafaba is recognized as an egg substitute, but it can also be used as a dairy substitute. For those who are lactose intolerant, aquafaba has been known to be a replacement for milk and butter.
Combined with a few other ingredients, you can make your own vegan butter using aquafaba. You can also use it to make your own whipped cream or mayonnaise.
Many people use aquafaba as a vegan cooking ingredient, although it is not high in nutrients. It is not a good source of calcium or iron and is low in protein. You will not get nearly as many calories, protein, carbs, etc. from aquafaba as you would from eggs and dairy.
Is aquafaba only from chickpeas?
Aquafaba can be made from any type of legume, including chickpeas and white beans. You can also obtain aquafaba from cans of beans or tofu.
Aquafaba is defined as the juice leftover from beans. This means you can use garbanzo beans, white beans, and even black beans to make aquafaba. Simply strain the liquid out and you’ve got a vegan dairy/egg substitute.
Are there any health benefits of aquafaba?
Not much research has been done on aquafaba, since it is a relatively new discovery. What we know is that it is extremely low in calories, low in protein, low in carbs, low in calcium, low in iron, etc.
Even though it is not high in nutrients or protein, it can be beneficial for your health if you have certain digestive problems. for example…
- Egg allergies – If you are allergic to eggs or can not digest them, aquafaba can act as a replacement. Although it does not have nearly as much nutritional value as eggs, you can use aquafaba in place of eggs in healthy recipes. Homemade mayonnaise using aquafaba and other ingredients may be healthier than store-bought mayonnaise.
- Lactose intolerance – Similarly, if you are allergic to dairy or are lactose intolerant, using aquafaba as a dairy substitute can be beneficial to your health. While aquafaba does not have as much nutritional value as other dairy products, it can be used in healthy recipes.
- Phenylketonuria – This is a disorder that makes it difficult to digest protein. People with Phenylketonuria must follow a low-protein diet. Since aquafaba has such a low protein content, it can be a great choice for people with PKU. Aquafaba can be used as a substitute for protein-rich foods in healthy recipes.
Are there any health risks of aquafaba?
Since there is so little research on aquafaba, no known health risks have been found. This does not mean there aren’t any. Using aquafaba in place of protein-rich or nutrient-rich foods can be disadvantageous. Here are some negatives of aquafaba:
- Low protein – Aquafaba is not a good source of protein. Replacing protein in your diet with aquafaba can be harmful to your health in the long run. You need protein in your diet, so stick to traditional sources of protein to keep your body healthy.
- Poor source of nutrients – If you do not have any dietary restrictions or egg/dairy allergies, it is not recommended to substitute aquafaba from a nutritional standpoint. Simply put, aquafaba is an insufficient source of nutrients.
Should you feed your cat aquafaba?
No, you should not feed your cat aquafaba. Cats are obligate carnivores. They can not digest plant proteins as we can. If you are making your cat homemade food, ensure it has animal protein in it. Cats can not live without animal protein and will slowly succumb to malnutrition if they are not fed meat.
Is aquafaba ok for kittens?
Aquafaba is not OK for kittens. Kittens need meat in their diets, just like adult cats. Kittens can not digest plant proteins, so if you are making your kitten homemade food, ensure it has animal protein in it. Kittens need animal protein to live and will slowly succumb to malnutrition if they do not have meat in their diet.
Are there better alternatives to aquafaba for cats?
While aquafaba is safe for cats to consume, it is not recommended to feed it to them regularly. This is because aquafaba is used as a substitute for eggs and dairy. It has no nutritional value. If you plan to feed your cat aquafaba, it is likely because you want to feed them a vegan diet. This is not safe for your cat.
If you would like to make your own cat food, use ingredients such as cooked chicken, pork, beef, tuna, or salmon for protein. As for carbs, white rice, corn, or peas can be considered. And sweet potatoes for fiber.
The important thing to keep in mind when feeding your cat is making sure they get enough animal protein. Do not substitute animal protein for plant protein.
Can aquafaba cause cats diarrhea?
If your cat experiences diarrhea after consuming aquafaba, it is likely because it can not digest the homemade cat food you have made. If you made your own food using aquafaba, you are probably feeding your cat a vegan diet.
Cats can not survive on a vegan diet. If your cat has been eating only plant-based meat, this may be why your cat has diarrhea. Cats can not digest plant proteins. Since they are carnivores, they need a meat-based diet. Do not feed your cat a plant-based diet.
Does aquafaba go bad?
Aquafaba will eventually go bad. However, you don’t have to use it immediately. You can put it in the fridge for a few days. You can also freeze it to use in the future. It is also safe to microwave frozen aquafaba to thaw it before use.